The DePurna wing of the Silent Library was built in 1842 when Louisa DePurna’s growing collection of books and ephemera began to outgrow her library. Though an extensive collection remained with the Depurna family, many of their most sought after editions and artifacts were donated to the Silent Library in the hope that they be archived for those who understand their import.